Minutes May 2017

Minutes of the meeting of Michaelstow Council Meeting held in the Treveighan Methodist Chapel on Thursday May 11th 2017

Present: Cllr. J. Marshall (chair), Cllr. R. Whitby, Cllr. A. Button, Cllr. A ffrench Blake, Simon Mitchell (Parish clerk), Cllr. Dominic Fairman, (Cornwall Councillor for St Teath and St Breward wards).

Michaelstow Annual General Meeting

  • the election of the chair: Cllr Whitby nominated Cllr. Marshall as chair and this was seconded by Cllr. ffrench Blake and accepted by Cllr. Marshall
  • the confirmation of adopted members: the three elected members of the parish council had agreed by email before the meeting to adopt Cllrs. Button and ffrench Blake as Cllr. East was unable to attend this meeting.
  • the signing of the acceptance of office: all councillors except Cllr. East signed the acceptance of office forms
  • the election of the vice-chair: the councillors agreed on a ‘floating’ vice-chair who would be appointed at a meeting as and when the need arised
  • distribution of register of interest forms: the four councillors present took their register of interest forms for completion by the next meeting on June 1st

 Parish Council Meeting

  1. Public Session: There were no members of the public present
  2. Members declaration of interest: There were no interests declared
  3. Apologies for non-attendance: Cllr East had earlier given his apologies
  4. Approve the minutes: The minutes of the April meeting were approved and signed
  5. Matters arising from the above minutes:
  • ongoing situation with illegal trader resident at top of Dry Lane. Councillor Fairman said that the eviction of the traders was scheduled for 12 July, having allowed them three months to move
  • bank account setup for Michaelstow Parish Community Fund and Friends of Church. The clerk had received an electronic device for accessing the new accounts online and was awaiting a card to operate this. He asked Councillor Whitby for details of the Michaelstow Parish Community Fund account so he could invoice Farm Energy for a second payment.
  • Cormac re road drainage outside Tregawn Farm. Cllr Fairman agreed to arrange a meeting between Cormac and a parish council member, to resolve the drainage problem on the road by the bus shelter.
  • internal audit report and annual return signing. The clerk presented the completed audit along with the internal auditors report. The annual governance statement was signed by the chairman and clerk and marked as minute reference 3E1. The annual accounting statements were also signed and marked as minute reference 3E2. The clerk commented that he had spent 25 hours additional time, over his four hours a week on completing this audit. He requested additional pay for 10 hours and confirmed that the additional time spent would be taken out of his hours during the year ahead. He told the parish council he still had to complete templates for the exercise of public rights, various declarations, bank reconciliation and variance and other explanations. He said the audit was very thorough and time-consuming.
  1. Planning: Applications.

PA17/02324 erection of a dwelling on land opposite the school house, Ms Sybil Griffiths.

Councillor ffrench Blake was concerned about various statements in the application that were untrue. It was not a brownfield site. It was not an infill. The adjacent ‘equestrian centre’ was in fact a cow barn, and the measurements giving proximity to the church were inaccurate. He gave a full description of the history of the site which he had included in the parish council’s planned response at the planning committee meeting. He also commented on the lack of infrastructure, local facilities, local services, public transport and employment opportunity in and around Michaelstow.

Cllr Fairman thought that the application was getting closer to fulfilling all the conditions for being passed. He advised the parish council to seek advice regarding the terms of the covenants and the proximity of the cattle. The clerk was asked to prepare a public speaking request form for Councillor ffrench Blake to speak at the planning committee meeting. Councillor ffrench Blake also suggested that the parish council research formally designating the area for development as a ‘green space’ and that the newly formed ‘Friends of Michaelstow Church’ should also respond to the plan on the planning website. He agreed to email the clerk draft responses.

  1. Accounts & Financial Matters
  2. Bank Balance: 27.04.17 all payments cleared to: £7070.10
  3. Invoices & Payments: clerks salary of £274.56 paid by standing order on 1st of month.

Adminstration of Payroll services 2017 – 18: £73

Internal Audit fee 2017 – £76.05

Annual insurance with Aon UK – £204.29

Payment to Michaelstow Parish Community Fund of £1500 ‘lodgement in transit’

These payments of £2127.9 reduce the bank balance to £4942.20

  1. LMP: Cllr. Fairman informed the parish council that Cormac were to view the defective stile near the Rectory and decide whether to repair it or remove it.
  2. Community Network: The parish council asked the clerk to forward emails concerning Community Network meetings so that they could plan representation at these meetings.
  3. Parish Matters:
  • Audit underway online at http://www.michaelstow.org.uk/2017audit
  • Parish profile. Councillor Button suggested that the parish would benefit from a ‘Welcome to the Parish’ leaflet similar to others and Cllr. Fairman agreed to email Blisland’s to the clerk so that he could get one underway.
  1. Date of next Meeting:

Dates for year’s meetings 2017 were agreed provisionally as:

01.06 06.07 03.08 07.09 05.10 02.11 14.12
  1. To Close the meeting: Cllr Marshall closed the meeting at 20.30