Minutes of the meeting of Michaelstow Council Meeting held in the Treveighan Methodist Chapel on Thursday November 2nd 2017.
Present: Cllr. Marshall (chair), Cllr ffrench Blake, Cllr. Whitby, Cllr. East, Cllr. Dominic Fairman, (Cornwall Councillor for St Teath and St Breward wards), Simon Mitchell (parish clerk), Anthony Scott-Hopkins.
The parish council meeting was preceded by a meeting of ‘Friends of Michaelstow Church’.
Parish Council Meeting
- Public Session: there were no members of the public present
- Members declaration of interest: no interests were declared
- Apologies for non-attendance: there were apologies from Cllr. Button
- Approve the minutes: the minutes of the meeting of October 5th were signed-off as correct.
- Matters arising from the above minutes:
- welcome to the parish leaflet: the clerk showed he had fitted the text for the leaflet into an A5 eight sided pamphlet. There were now two sides left over for pictures & local shops.
- electoral review: Cllr Fairman gave the clerk details of an alternative boundary review plan and provided him a context in which to write a draft response from the parish Council.
- invasive plants. Himalayan Balsam along B3266: the clerk reported that these had been picked but after seeding so would probably re-occur next year.
- mud: Councillor Fairman provided a telephone number to the clerk for reporting mud on the roads. Now that the main maize crop was in it was hoped the problem would diminish. Councillor East thought that the flooding outside of Michaelstow nurseries could be traced to the sluice gate which seemed part of the problem. He thought the whole system was silted up at this point of the road. Councillor Fairman offered to follow the issue up again with Cormac.
- Planning: Applications: none
- Accounts: Financial Matters
- Bank Balance: 27.10.17 all payments cleared to £6497.32
- Invoices & Payments:
- clerks monthly salary of £274.56 paid by standing order on 1st
- Mr Sanders strimming of banks £140
- Half year accounts. Precept claim in December for 2018-19. The clerk provided a summary of the parish council’s financial position with regards to the precept claim for the next year.
- LMP: The chair confirmed that Mr Sanders had been paid by the church for grounds upkeep.
- Community Network / correspondence:
- Parish Matters: AOB
- Cllr. Whitby reported that Michaelstow was on the list for an upgrade in broadband speed next spring. This was to be a combination of fibre direct to house or fibre to box, then copper pair to house.
- Councillor Fairman provided a report on the illegal woodcarver set up. John seems uncooperative to enforcement and indifferent to prosecution. It is thought he is unlikely to comply with any written notice. The County Council’s tools of prosecution or injunction seem ineffective. They claim that the land is not owned by CC so they have no formal powers of eviction or a budget for this.
- Date of next Meeting:
Next meeting 14.12
- To Close the meeting: Cllr Marshall closed the meeting at 8.17 pm.